Happy New Year friends! Hoping you all enjoyed some family times as well as some good old peace and quiet. Mark and I often joke about wanting some good P&Q … and I suppose eventually one of these years we’re sure to get some! Hah.
While I’m not big on making new year resolutions, I know many of us feel like we ate one vegan cheese ball too many over the holidays, scarfed one too many coconut caramels and drank one too many bottles of wine. (Or maybe that’s just me?!) Either way, I’m pretty sure we could all benefit from some bright, colourful and healthy meals about now, so this new cookbook is coming at just the right time.
I’ve been following Ilene aka @thecolorfulkitchen on Instagram for a few years now and have been drooling over her super creative and colourful (hence the name!) creations ever since. When I saw that she was working on a cookbook I knew I’d want to get my hands on it once it hit the real world. It certainly lives up to its title. Bright and beautiful photos are abound and there are so many amazing recipes inside. They’re pretty straightforward in terms of preparation too which I LOVE – gimme all the quick and yummy recipes SVP!
Still on my cauliflower kick, I simply couldn’t resist trying the BBQ Cauliflower Poppers right off the hop. Super tangy and umami little pockets of cauliflower that could make for a great party snack if you don’t eat the entire dish yourself first. They’re easy as can be and if your partner (or kids or bestie) is not too keen on cauliflower like my husband, this is a great way to get them to try it and love it.
I’ve also got a whole bunch of other recipes bookmarked to make in the coming weeks like Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Granola, Maple-Mustard Squash Grilled Cheese, Balsamic Beet Spread, Chickpea Crust Rainbow Alfredo Pizza (as pictured on the book’s cover) & I can’t wait to try the the Miso-Tahini Cookies from the desserts section. Ilene has really compiled an amazing collection of accessible, mouth watering recipes. I can’t wait to keep cooking from it.
If you think these sound as amazing as I do, you’ll definitely want to enter the giveaway at the bottom of this post to win yourself a copy of The Colorful Kitchen cookbook! Scroll down for the entry, but first, read on for the recipe for the BBQ Cauliflower Poppers!
- ½ cup spelt flour
- ¾ cup nondairy milk
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cauliflower crown, broken into florets
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- SERVE WITH
- Green onions, sliced
- 1 batch Green Cashew Ranch Dressing (see below)
- Celery sticks
- Carrot sticks
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Stir all the batter ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Grease a baking sheet with the olive oil. Dip the cauliflower florets into the batter and place them on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then flip the cauliflower with a spatula and bake for 5 more minutes.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven. Carefully transfer the cauliflower to a large bowl. Add the barbecue sauce and stir until all the pieces are coated.
- Spread the cauliflower out on the baking sheet. Bake for another 15 minutes, then flip the cauliflower and bake for another 10 minutes, until crispy.
- Let the cauliflower cool for 5 minutes, then garnish with the green onions and serve with the Green Cashew Ranch Dressing, celery sticks, and carrot sticks.
GIVEAWAY IS NOW CLOSED.
Whether your trying out the whole vegan thing for 2018, or just looking to cook up some yummy eats, this book will be the perfect addition to your cookbook shelf. Thanks to the fine folks at BenBella books, I’m able to give away a copy of The Colorful Kitchen to one lucky reader. I’m going to keep it simple, so to enter simply comment below and share your favourite colourful food! The contest will run until midnight on January 9th and I’ll randomly select a winner and contact via email. Winner must have a Canadian or US mailing address. Good luck!