Greek salad used to be a restaurant staple for me in my teenage years and into my 20s too. I just couldn’t resist the combination of crunchy cucumbers, tangy olives, sweet tomatoes and the briney cheesy goodness of feta. Having never actually been to Greece, I have no idea how authentic “Greek salad” actually is, but I love the memory of it either way.
As I’ve been vegan now for 6 years, it’s been a long long time since I’ve had a Greek salad with feta. I was over at friends last weekend and as I was making us some salad bowls for a quick lunch, I found myself adding gorgeous cherry tomatoes, cucumber, red onion and kalamata olives and I couldn’t help but think – Man, what I wouldn’t give for some vegan feta!
And then it dawned on me – Jess, you’ve made tofu feta before! You can do it again! Oh yes, in my pregnancy brain fog I had all but forgotten about the tofu feta I fell in love with during Woodrow’s pregnancy.
Huzzah, there would be salad!
I first made this tofu feta 4 years ago when I came across the recipe in a copy of VegNews magazine, and after losing the original, I’ve been making it and tweaking it from memory. What I always keep consistent though, is simmering the tofu in the herbed lemon brine before marinating it overnight. It takes a little forethought, but the results make it SO worth it. Then once it’s made, it’s ready to add to salads, crumble over burgers or into to wraps, or just eat straight from the container. (Don’t knock it till you try it folks.)
If you’re an onion fan, or if they don’t give you fire breath like they do for me, by all means add them – I’m learning to listen to my body (and upset stomach) and will be leaving them out.
I’d love to hear what you think of this salad. If you make it or the feta, holler back or better yet and tag me (@jessicalaurennadel) and your creations on Instagram with #cupcakesandkale.
Have a great weekend!
- FOR THE TOFU FETA:
- 1 350g pkg extra firm tofu
- 2 lemons
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- FOR THE SALAD:
- 6 cups of salad greens (I used a baby kale, spinach & chard mix)
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup tofu feta (see recipe below)
- ¼ cup sliced or pitted or chopped kalamata olives
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion (optional)
- pita chips (optional)
- FOR THE DRESSING:
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- ½ tsp oregano
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- FOR THE TOFU FETA: Drain the tofu, wrap in a clean tea towel and gently press out the water. Slice into ½ inch cubes. Set aside.
- Squeeze the juice from the lemons into a measuring cup and add water to reach a total of 2 cups combined. Add to a small pot along with the spices and bring to a simmer over medium high heat.
- Add the cubed tofu, reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature, then transfer to a sealed container and refrigerated overnight.
- FOR THE SALAD: Combine the greens, cucumber, tomato, half of the tofu feta, olives and onions (if using).
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients and pour over the salad using as much as you like to taste and toss. Top with the remaining tofu feta and serve with pita chips.